Random medical post that I decided to put on the blog rather than Facebook. Does not indicate any greater coherence, just the desire to distract myself for a few more minutes until I can get some pain relief. Today I saw the shrink and my physio.( Read more... )
For our anniversary outing this year, Husband and I went to see The (fabulous) Lion King at the Crown Theatre (formerly and forever Burswood). To add as many breaks to the experience as possible we also stayed overnight at the Crown Promenade hotel, right next door to the theatre and over the driveway from the casino. I'm not up for a properly and coherently decent post about the experience, but I thought I'd dump some thoughts here.( Read more... )
OK, I've had a coffee, so let's clear a few things up.
(1) Happy Star Wars Day everyone who likes the idea, the rest of you can go celebrate Monday, or I Made It Out Of Bed Day, or Bloody Hell, That Was A Nice Coffee Day.
(2) I have been culturally conditioned to believe that the arrival of a baby princess is a wonderful and magical event. I am almost entirely able to override this conditioning, but not all of it, so here it is: "Naw, a baby princess." That aside it's an extra dose of surreal to be reminded that this baby is now 4th in line to have non-trivial levels of power and influence over the country of my birth. Also, I'd go for Elizabeth for a name – previous monarchs of the type have done rather well for themselves. Perhaps she shouldn't be allowed to watch Game of Thrones as she grows up, or there'll be fire-breathing winged corgies emerging from the palace labs.
(3) By all means, appreciate the art and science of boxing if that's your thing (the hitting people variety, not the packaging variety, although as a frequent purchaser of fragile items delivered by post I care rather a lot about the other kind of boxing). I shall simply sit here and wonder why on earth there's so much money involved. Like, truckloads of the stuff. It's not like there aren't other sports where athletes put their bodies on the line, never mind professionals of all sorts. It's weird, I say. Weird.
(4) I think there is a place for the death penalty in the world, but only in a vanishingly small number of very specific cases. And for whatever's sake not by firing squad. Jeez.
(5) OK, I'm tired now.
(6) Yes, I don't blog here much any more, see above.
Today was my 6 monthly visit to Dr T my psychiatrist. Six months is the default interval so in a sense that's good news. That said I would have brought the appointment forward if it wasn't already there. Things got very very grim around the turn of the year.( Read more... )
At the end of January 2015 I will allow my membership of the Australian Computer Society (ACS) to lapse. It's true that for the last couple of years I was only paying discount membership rates because of my employment/health status, and during that time I rarely if ever attended branch events. But before that I was an active member of the society, and I'd worked hard to be accepted as a member. At my peak I was a Certified Computer Professional (MACS CPP), a professional accreditation similar to being a Certified Practising Accountant – not a bad effort for an Arts graduate.
[Note: The standard of writing in this post is embarrassingly poor, I know. I was better when I did it for a living, honest, but now I'm just too tired.]( Read more... )
Near enough to 21 years ago, Husband and I got married in a fairly traditional manner, and this included a two-tiered fruitcake-based wedding cake. The lower tier was consumed at or around the time of the wedding, but the top tier remained intact and on display in our homes for, let's say a long time.( Read more... )
Last Thursday I went to Identified Hair in Kensington to get some colour put through my hair. And when I say I "some" colour, I mean all the colours – I'm told the technical term is Unicorn Vomit. (None of the photos do it justice, but your chances of seeing me in person are slim.) Apologies for the length of this post. (Edited to correct spelling of Ree to Rhi - sorry Rhi!)( Read more... )
The next treatment goal on which I plan to spend all my medical spoons is hydrotherapy. I don't expect to be back in the pool doing kilometres of laps any time soon, but I'll see if I can do some stretches in warm water that aren't currently possible on dry land. More on that later, but before I can do that I need some bathers (aka swimmers, cossies, swimming costume, bathing costume), as it's many years since I've owned a pair that fit. Once I've got bathers I can cross the bridge of making appointments at the physio and somehow getting my carcass there on some kind of schedule.( Read more... )
Many weeks ago a "FOR LEASE" sign appeared on a house not far from mine here at Sector 7. That's unusual in the current economic climate, we thought. The rental market is bursting at the seams – demand is high, and properties get usually snapped up by desperate renters at the first hint of opportunity. Why go to the extra expense and trouble of putting up a sign?( Read more... )
Remember when LJ was all velociraptor memes? Of course you do. So, despite the fact that I've posted this "10 things people may not about you" meme in Facebook already, I thought I'd reproduce it here. Apologies for the foul deceit that may have led you to expect new content.( Read more... )